In the past week

In the last week, not a lot has got done.  Well, I decided to fire up the 1955 Singer 99k

IMG_0781.JPG

her top stitch was brilliant but the underside was ghastly, no matter which way I turned the tension dial, it was no better.

Then I saw the reason why in the 61 years of its life I don’t think it had ever been serviced or cleaned.  So I set to work on de-fluffing her!  Some of the parts that should move freely had seized up, with oil gunk and fluff.

 

IMG_0867.JPG

Before cleaning

So after de-fluffing the bobbin area (looked like the remnants of some animal!)

 

IMG_0871.JPG

61 years of grime that come out of the bobbin area

She looked much better

 

IMG_0869.JPG

After cleaning

and she now sews sweet, with the straightest top stitching!  Especially though Vinyl / Pleather, it was so effortless.

top stitch.jpg

But before I can use this old gal, I want to replace her belt and bobbin winder rubber, as they look like the originals and I think are on their last legs, so I am waiting on replacements coming from the U.S of A.  Will keep you posted.

I am currently working on my Gerbera Wristlet, using my Kawaii fabric.  However, then I hit a problem with my 6mth old Janome, her top stitching was awful (what is going on with machines at the moment?)  The stitching was as wonky as anything.  Rethreaded, rewound the bobbin, cleaned the bobbin area, changed needles but nothing would make it any better….so I am at a loss, I think I may have to get her serviced.

 

IMG_0881.JPG

Janome top stitch (if you can call it that!)

Since a few years ago, when my 1980 Bernina Record 830 blew up, I’ve been on the look out for another, but the prices are sky high.  On Gumtree Friday evening a lady had listed her Bernina, I couldn’t see what model it was, but she looked pretty, with her red case.  Yesterday, Nina came home so I now have a 1977 Bernina 800, basic machine, and she is dinky, and it great condition.  The lady had bought her new in 1977 for $500 (AUD) which equates to $2000 in todays money!

I’ve given her a bit of a clean, not that she needed it, so looking forward to sewing on her 🙂

 

IMG_0885.JPG

Introducing “Nina”

 

IMG_0886.JPG

Darning hoop, 4 presser feet, and a heap of bobbins!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

One thought on “In the past week

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s